Coco Amido Propyl Betaine (CAPB) is a preservative-free, amphoteric surfactant. It has excellent foaming properties in hard and soft water.Low irritation to skin and eye with high foam ability and good foam stability in combination with anionic surfactants, synergistic effects are achieved which lead to adermatological improvement of the consumer product. It is used in baby care and cleansing, liquid soaps, shampoos, face cleansing, personal care wipes and shower/bath products. The shelf life of the ingredient is 12 months.
Coco Amidopropyl Betaine Properties:
1. Surfactant: CAPB is an amphoteric surfactant, meaning it has both positive and negative charged groups. This property allows it to act as a foaming agent, emulsifier, and detergent in various formulations. It helps to remove dirt, oil, and impurities from the skin and hair.
2. Mildness: CAPB is known for its mild and gentle nature. It exhibits low irritancy potential and is suitable for use in products intended for individuals with sensitive skin or delicate hair. Its mildness helps to maintain the natural moisture balance of the skin and hair, reducing the likelihood of dryness or irritation.
3. Compatibility: Coco Amido Propyl Betaine is compatible with a wide range of other surfactants and cosmetic ingredients. It can be easily incorporated into formulations without causing stability or compatibility issues. CAPB enhances the performance of other surfactants, improves foam stability, and contributes to the overall texture and feel of the product.
4. pH Stability: CAPB has good stability over a wide pH range, typically ranging from acidic to alkaline conditions. This property allows it to function effectively in a variety of personal care products, including those with different pH levels. CAPB retains its performance and stability even in the presence of acidic or alkaline ingredients.
5. Foam Generation: CAPB is known for its excellent foaming properties. It produces a rich and luxurious lather, contributing to the sensory experience of personal care products. The foaming action helps to evenly distribute the product, enhance cleansing, and provide a sense of cleanliness.
6. Biodegradability: Coco Amido Propyl Betaine is readily biodegradable, which means it can break down in the environment through natural processes. It does not persist or accumulate in the environment, reducing its impact on ecosystems. CAPB is considered to have a relatively low ecological footprint compared to some other surfactants.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What is Coco Amido Propyl Betaine?
A: Coco Amido Propyl Betaine, also known as CAPB, is a surfactant derived from coconut oil. It is an organic compound with the chemical formula C22H44N2O3. CAPB is commonly used in personal care and cosmetic products as a mild, amphoteric surfactant.
Q: What are the properties of Coco Amido Propyl Betaine?
A: CAPB is a yellowish liquid with a characteristic odor. It is soluble in water and produces a foamy lather. It has good stability over a wide pH range and exhibits excellent compatibility with other surfactants. CAPB is mild and gentle on the skin and hair.
Q: What are the main uses of Coco Amido Propyl Betaine?
A: This chemical is primarily used as a surfactant and foam booster in personal care and cosmetic products. It is commonly found in shampoos, conditioners, body washes, facial cleansers, liquid soaps, and baby care products. CAPB helps to create a rich lather, enhance the texture of products, and improve their cleaning and foaming properties.
Q: Is Coco Amido Propyl Betaine safe to use?
A: Yes, Coco Amido Propyl Betaine is considered safe for use in personal care products when used as directed. It is mild and gentle, making it suitable for individuals with sensitive skin. CAPB is generally well-tolerated and has low irritancy potential. However, as with any cosmetic ingredient, some individuals may have specific sensitivities or allergies, so it's always recommended to perform a patch test or consult a dermatologist if you have concerns.
Q: Can Coco Amido Propyl Betaine be used in natural or organic products?
A: Yes, Coco Amidopropyl Betaine can be used in natural or organic products. While it is a synthetic surfactant, CAPB is derived from coconut oil, which is a natural source. It is commonly accepted and used in many natural and organic personal care formulations. However, different certification standards may have specific requirements, so it's essential to check the guidelines of the particular natural or organic certification body you are following.
Q: Is Coco Amido Propyl Betaine an environmentally friendly ingredient?
A: CAPB is considered to be relatively environmentally friendly. It is readily biodegradable and does not persist in the environment. CAPB is derived from a renewable resource (coconut oil) and has a relatively low ecological impact compared to some other synthetic surfactants. However, it's important to consider the overall environmental profile of a product, including its complete formulation and packaging.
Q: Can Coco Amido Propyl Betaine be used in household cleaning products?
A: Yes, it can be used in household cleaning products. Its mildness and foaming properties make it suitable for use in various cleaning formulations, such as liquid soaps, dishwashing detergents, and all-purpose cleaners. CAPB can contribute to the cleaning efficiency and foam generation in these products.